top of page
  • Writer's pictureGill Kelley

5 Key Factors for Choosing Sustainable Companies

Updated: Oct 23, 2023

Searching for truly sustainable companies

In a world with endless products to choose from, a group of conscious consumers embarked on a quest to find products made by companies that prioritise sustainability and make responsible choices for the environment and society.

On their journey they identified five key factors to consider when choosing a company to buy from to ensure that they are truly sustainable.

1. Transparency

In their quest, our conscious consumers discovered that sustainable companies were like open books. These companies are completely transparent about their operations, sharing information about supply chains, manufacturing processes, and the sources of their materials. In addition, they understand that honesty is vital to building and retaining consumer trust.

  • Look for brands that provide detailed information about the origins of their products and how they ensure sustainability throughout their production journey.

2. Eco-Friendly Practices

Our intrepid group of consumers also soon realised that truly sustainable companies are dedicated to minimising their ecological footprint. They embrace eco-friendly practices such as reducing waste, conserving energy, and using renewable resources.

  • When choosing a company to buy from, look for ones that display certifications such as: Organic, Fair Trade, and Green Certified. These awards demonstrate their commitment to sustainable practices.

The EU organic logo can only be used on products certified as organic. This means they have met strict conditions on how they are produced, processed, transported and stored. Products displaying the logo must contain at least 95% organic ingredients with further strict conditions for the remaining 5%.

3. Ethically Sourced

The most sustainable companies are seriously committed to ethical sourcing. These companies treat their employees and suppliers fairly, providing safe working conditions and fair wages.

  • Look for companies that are members of organisations like the Fair Labour Association or respect international labour standards. When you buy from these companies, you're supporting fair and responsible business practices.

4. Product Durability

Investing in durable and high-quality products that are built to last is one of the most sustainable choices that the conscious consumers discovered. By choosing products that are designed for longevity, we can reduce waste and promote a more sustainable lifestyle.

  • Sustainable companies often offer warranties or guarantees to ensure their products stand the test of time, thus minimising the need for replacements.

5. Social Responsibility

The best companies are deeply involved in their communities, giving back and supporting social causes. These companies recognise their responsibility to society and actively contribute to improving the world around them.

  • When deciding where to spend your money, consider companies that support charitable organisations, engage in community initiatives, and champion social and environmental causes.

Increasing Number of Sustainable Companies

Throughout their quest, the conscious consumers learned that choosing a sustainable company was not just about finding a product - it was about supporting a vision for a better, more responsible world. Their purchasing decisions had the power to influence companies to do better, be more responsible and contribute positively to society and the environment.

As the consumers continued their journey, they were encouraged by the growing number of companies genuinely committed to sustainability. They knew that by choosing these companies, they were not only getting the products they needed, but also helping to build a more sustainable and responsible world for future generations.

So, when you set off on your mission to find sustainable companies, worthy of your hard-earned cash, remember these five essential factors: transparency, eco-friendly practices, ethically sourced, product durability, and social responsibility.

By making them an integral part of your shopping journey, you - and your purchasing power - can encourage more companies to change for the better. You too can become a conscious consumer who supports a more sustainable and responsible world.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page